Fibromyalgia: Management Strategies
In this video from the Practical Pain Highlights: Fibromyalgia Video Roundtable for Primary Care Physicians Series, learn about the most effective treatments for your fibromyalgia patients. The panel of pain experts review various management strategies that will help you craft individualized treatment plans.
The following fibromyalgia treatments, among others, are discussed:
- Medications: antidepressants, sleep medications, opioids (with a caution to always carefully monitor these and perform risk stratification)
- Sleep hygiene improvements: disturbed sleep is common in fibromyalgia patients, so addressing sleep hygiene can improve symptoms
- Graded exercise: consider how much the patient can handle when recommending exercise
- Cognitive behavioral intervention: give the patient the tools to address the emotional side of living with a chronic pain condition
Joseph Shurman, MD moderates this fibromyalgia management video. He is the Chairman of Pain Management at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, CA.
The panelists are:
- Charles E. Argoff, MD: Professor of Neurology at Albany Medical College and Director or the Comprehensive Pain Center at Albany Medical Center
- John F. Peppin, DO, FACP: Director, Clinical Research Division at The Pain Treatment Center of the Bluegrass
- Steven P. Stanos, DO: Assistant Professor in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Medical Director, Center for Pain Management at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago